Start or Stop Services

If you have never had a Seattle utilities account before, start with our guide for customers who are new to the area.

If you are a current or former customer and need to move, open, or close an account, you have three options:

  • Online: You can now start or stop water, sewer, electricity, garbage, recycling, or food/yard waste services on the Utility Services Website.
  • By Phone: Call Customer Service at (206) 684-3000. They are available by phone from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. 
  • Walk-In Service Center: Visit us at Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Ave, 4th Floor (lobby entrance) or one of our walk-in centers.


Before You Start...

Before you start or stop service, please note the following:

  • If you have sold your property, you will need the name of the buyer to close your account.
  • If you are stopping service, you will be billed for services until the account is properly closed with an effective date, meter reading, and forwarding address.
  • The following fees will be charged when opening or closing water, sewer, garbage, recycling, or food & yard (compost) accounts:
Service Type of Fee When Fee
Water Water Meter Reading Fee Closing Account $60
Garbage, Recyling, Food & Yard Account Setup Fee Opening Account $10
Sewer None None None


Requesting a Balance Refund

You can request a refund check for your Seattle Public Utilities or Seattle City Light account if you:

  • Are the account holder.
  • Have stopped your service.
  • Have a credit balance after the final bill was issued for your account.
  • Do not receive utility rate assistance.

To make a refund request, call Customer Service at (206) 684-3000.


Public Utilities

Andrew Lee, General Manager and CEO
Address: 700 5th Avenue, Suite 4900, Seattle, WA, 98104
Mailing Address: PO Box 34018, Seattle, WA, 98124-5177
Phone: (206) 684-3000

Newsletter Updates


Sign up for the latest updates from Public Utilities

Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is comprised of three major direct-service providing utilities: the Water Utility, the Drainage and Wastewater Utility, and the Solid Waste Utility.