Skip to main content

SDCI offices are closed to the public.

Most services are available online through our Virtual Applicant Services Center. We offer limited access to our offices for scheduled public meetings.


See also: Just Cause Eviction Ordinance

What Is It?

A white man with an eviction notice.Eviction is the legal process used by a landlord to make a tenant move out. To evict you, your landlord must file a civil law suit against you in the King County Superior Court.

If you are being evicted you should talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. The King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project is a good resource for you. If you are a landlord who wants to evict your tenant, you should consult a lawyer as well. The King County Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service is a good place to start.

What It Isn't

We don’t have a role in the eviction process; it is a private legal matter between you and your landlord. We do, however, enforce City codes regarding the written notices your landlord must give you before beginning to evict you.

Rules to Follow

Your landlord must give you a written notice to move out before beginning the eviction process. For month-to-month tenants, the landlord’s written notice must state a valid reason for you to move as listed in Seattle’s Just Cause Eviction Ordinance.

Read the Code