Change Status

It is important to keep your information up to date with Seattle City Employees' Retirement System. 

Forms may be submitted as follows:

 Document Name  Email   Fax   Mail   Drop Box   Secure Message via MSS Portal  
Beneficiary Designation Form         X X X
Change Form - Name, Mailing Address, Email, Phone X X X X
Direct Deposit X X X
Tax Withholding (IRS Form W-4P) X X X X
Withdrawal of Contributions - Beneficiary Application X X

  • Fax to (206) 386-1506
  • Mail to SCERS, 720 3rd Avenue, Suite 900, Seattle WA  98104
  • Place in the City of Seattle Payment drop box located at the Seattle Municipal Tower (please put your document in a sealed envelope with "Attention Retirement" written on it).  The drop box is located on the 4th floor of the SMT in front of the Customer Service Center.
  • Send the document via secure message on your Member Self-Service account

Please feel free to contact us at (206) 386-1293 if you have questions.

If you have a spouse or registered domestic partner, this person is automatically designated as your beneficiary in accordance with the Seattle Municipal Code. If you are not married, even if you are in a domestic partnership, you can designate and change your beneficiary at will. If you are married, your spouse will have to give signed consent, called "spousal waiver," for you to designate someone other than your spouse as your beneficiary.

If you wish to change your beneficiary, we need to receive your request in writing using the Change of Beneficiary form. You must name at least one primary beneficiary.  Your form must be notarized.

Your annual statement and other Retirement System information will be mailed to the address SCERS's has on file.  Current City of Seattle employees should make any address changes through Employee Self-Service.  If you are a vested member, please use the Change form

Submit a Change form with Seattle City Employees' Retirement System if you have changed your legal name for any reason. Please note that the notification must be accompanied by the court order or other legal documentation that shows your name has been changed.

Your retirement benefits are considered marital property that must be taken into account when property is divided in a marital dissolution. Our document Questions and Answers About Qualified Domestic Relations Orders explains the rules and offers sample language for these orders. Feel free to contact a Seattle City Employees' Retirement System retirement specialist for additional help.

Fill out a Direct Deposit Authorization form to have your monthly benefit payments deposited electronically directly into your bank account. Direct deposits will begin the month after you make this application.  Direct deposit forms must be notarized.

To change income tax withholding on your benefit payments, file Internal Revenue Service Form W-4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments. Follow the instructions and use the worksheet on the form. Submit the form to the Seattle City Employees' Retirement System office.

To report the death of a retired member, please contact us. We are here to help ensure that beneficiaries receive their benefits. We will need a copy of a death certificate in order to process any benefits.

If you are a beneficiary of a deceased retired member and wish to withdraw the deceased member's contributions from the Retirement System, please inform us in writing using the Beneficiary Application for Withdrawal of Contributions.

Withdrawing contributions has income tax implications.  For more information, see the Special Tax Notice Regarding Plan Payments (IRS Safe Harbor Notice).