Non-Emergency Calls

A call-taker accepting a non-emergency call from a resident of Seattle and entering the information into a computer aided dispatch system.This page describes your options for reporting a non-emergency situation to the City of Seattle.  Due to short staffing, sometimes we are unable to answer the non-emergency line (206) 625-5011. During such times, this page gives you alternatives for reporting non-emergency incidents and issues to the City. You can always try to call again at a time which is less busy, such late evening or very early morning.

Always call 911 for:

  • A Police, Fire or Medical Emergency.
  • Reporting a serious situation which poses a danger to life, property or both.
  • Reporting a serious crime such as robbery, domestic violence or sexual assault.

You may call the non-emergency number (206) 625-5011 for:

  • Reporting a non-emergency property crime - one that happened in the past and the suspects are not in the immediate area.
  • Reporting a nuisance, such as a noise or parking complaint.

When the non-emergency line is not answered:

Due to a serious staffing shortage at the Community Safety and Communications Center Department, at busy times the non-emergency line may not be answered.  When you call, you will always receive a menu of options.  If the line cannot be answered, the message will say "due to staffing and other limitations we cannot answer calls right now" followed by the other options. 911 call-takers also answer non-emergency calls. Priority always goes to answering 911 calls. The City of Seattle has many other resources for reporting non-emergency situations.   Here is a list of many of those resources:

  • Listen carefully to the options presented when you call (206) 625-5011. Many of the options give you other numbers to call or websites for reporting non-emergency situations.
  • Report a crime online. Many crimes which are not in progress can be reported online including thefts, burglaries, fraud, property damage, narcotics activity and lost poroperty at the Seattle Police Department here.
  • Auto theft.  If your vehicle is stolen, try the non-emergency line first.  If it is not being answered, call 911 even if the theft occurred overnight or at some point in the past and the suspects are unknown.

  • Report a motor vehicle collision including a hit-and-run.  Most such reports can be filed online at the Washington State Patrol website here.

  • Power outage.  Call Seattle City Light (206) 684-3000.

  • Other City issues.  To report abandoned vehicles, dumping, syringes, encampments, animal and infrastructure issues, go to the City's full list of online request types here. You can also use the City's "Find It, Fix It" app to report such issues.
  • Social Services.  Call 211 for crisis intervention, utility assistance, food, housing, health, child care, after school programs, elder care and more.  See
  • Jail.  To inquire if someone is booked into the King County Jail, go to the jail website or call 1 (206) 296-1234
  • Protection and No Contact Orders.   Such orders are handled by the Seattle Municipal Court (SMC). Frequently asked questions and other information are on the SMC web page here.
  • Concealed Pistol Permits are issued by Seattle Police. More information here.
  • Non-police issues. During normal business hours, you can call the City's Customer Service Bureau at (206) 684-2489. The Customer Service Bureau website has a long list of how to get help for non-emergency situations.
  • You may also try to call (206) 625-5011 at another time which is less busy, such as midnight to 8:00 AM and 8:00PM to midnight.

911 Center

Reba L. Gonzales, Interim Director
Mailing Address: PO Box 94607, Seattle, WA, 98124-6907
Phone: (206) 625-5011 (For non-emergencies)
Contact CSCC

Learn when to call the non-emergency number instead of 911. Create a Smart 911 safety profile.