# June 20, 2023 Meeting - Seattle Freight Advisory Board

**Topics covered included:** West Marginal Way Phase II Presentation; Reconnect South Park Presentation;

This meeting was held: June 20, 2023, 9:00-11:00 a.m., via Webex and in the Boards and Commissions Room, City Hall

**Board Members:** Dan Kelly, Howard Agnew, Nigel Barron, Stanley Ryter, Dan McKisson, Eric Wright, Geri Poor, Dan Gatchet.

**Public:** Ryan Packer, Eugene Wasserman, Warren Aakervik, Claudia Hirschey, Jeanne Acutanza, Danielle Friedman, Christine Wolf, Nathan Chadwick, Call-in User 2, Tyler Blackwell, Christopher Forinash

**Staff:** Venu Nemani, Mike Boonsripisal, Sara Zora, Cayce James, Lauren Squires, Nelson Nygard, Christopher Eaves, Cass Magnuski

# Attending: 27

**Dan Kelly:** All right! We'll call this meeting of the Seattle Freight Board Advisory Committee meeting. Thanks to everyone for coming. Our first item of business, as a reminder for those in the public attending, we're trying to add a little more structure to our meeting here today, so we're going to have public comment both at the beginning and at the end of the meeting. And we'd ask that the public members to restrict those comments to the beginning and end of the meeting. So, we will open it now for any public comment. Anybody online? Did I skip over people introducing themselves? Is that what I did? I'm getting the look here, that I've forgotten something. So, we will ask the members of the public online, first, if you would identify yourselves, please?

# INTRODUCTIONS

**Dan Kelly:** Thank you, Chris, I appreciate that. We will open it to public comment here at the beginning of the meeting.

# **PUBLIC COMMENT**

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

#### **ACTION ITEMS:**

CE to coordinate with Aurora Project for supplemental meeting regarding goods movement C. Eaves – email out 7/6/23 to request format

Request for info/follow-up on potential bike lanes in the Stadium District

NOTE: Links to referenced stories and surveys were distributed to SFAB members after is meeting

#### Of Interest to the SFAB:

- Holgate and BNSF/Amtrak request for closure (Occidental Ave S to 3<sup>rd</sup> Ave S)
- Industrial Lands Study

#### Meeting opening

**Warren Aakervik:** I might as well ask the question now, for Sara Zora and Venu Nemani, since they will be presenting. I would like to get an explanation on big truck movements on right-hand turns, especially on West Marginal Way and other major freight streets. When we added facilities in for bikes and pedestrians, we protected downtown with left-hand turns only across the bike lanes on 2nd and 4th, but we have not necessarily protected the signals. I am assuming that we're not going to put signals in on West Marginal Way for the right-hand turning trucks, the WB67s, which cannot see. So, I'd like to make sure that we address that issue, as it becomes very unsafe. Freight is the need of all public, not just a few. Not everybody can have their freight delivered by Amazon and everybody else. So, people have to go where the materials are available for them, and that also gets into the equity question. so, I'd like to make sure they address that, if possible.

**Dan Kelly:** Great! Thank you, Warren. Anybody else from the public for comments? All right, hearing none. We do not have the minutes yet

**Christopher Eaves:** Unfortunately, I was unable to complete the minutes. I will be moving those as quickly as I can.

**Dan Kelly:** Understood. Thank you very much. I will move on to announcements. I understand that there are a few board members that have announcements for us today.

#### ANNOUNCEMENTS

**Geri Poor:** I wanted to give a shout-out to the various people who participated in the Truck and Bike Safety Fair that took place a weekend ago in Ruby Chow Park in Georgetown. We had representatives of the Bike Works and the West Seattle Bicycle Coalition, and I'm forgetting one other. Someone can chime in. But also, ITE, City of Seattle, Port of Seattle, Northwest Seaport Alliance, and the Washington Trucking Association. And at the end of the meeting, if we have time, three is a short video that was made at that and I would be happy to share it. It's about a minute and a half.

And then, Chris Eaves, are you going to mention something about the NCHRP survey?

Christopher Eaves: I do not plan to.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Warren Aakervik: Question regarding truck streets and bike/ped visibility with regards to right-turning trucks. Equity of infrastructure

Minutes deferred – not completed.

Announcements

Geri Poor – Truck and Bike Safety Fair was held and a safety video was made at the event.

NCHRP Survey truck driver focus https://fehrandpeers.myso cialpinpoint.com/nchrptruck-parking **Geri Poor:** May I say that, also, perhaps after the meeting, Chris Eaves could send out a link. There's a National Highways research panel that's doing some work nationwide on how various cities and jurisdictions do truck parking and have ordinances and rules about truck parking, and they are just starting their work, and they have a survey out nationwide. And it would be good for us to promote it within the Seattle area. So, I can put that link in the chat, and then perhaps Chris Eaves could send it out to people, both for jurisdictions and organizations, as well as a separate one for truck drivers. So, there are two different surveys. Thanks!

From Chat: from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 9:11 AM

Truck parking is a critical, national transportation issue compounded by population growth, economic activity, and a growing reliance on e-Commerce and trucking activity to serve local consumer demand. Truck drivers need safe and secure parking for staging, loading/unloading and federally-mandated rest periods. Consequently, there is a need for comprehensive input from diverse stakeholders to help understand truck driver needs, community concerns, truck parking demand, challenges faced by industrial developers and facility operators, and opportunities for developing solutions that benefit all.

The Transportation Research Board (TRB) is seeking your input, which will be used to develop guidance for local truck parking regulations. Below are two surveys, a questionnaire, and a map-based survey, to add pins on a map with comments about truck parking challenges or solutions.

from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 9:12 AM

Who can provide useful feedback?

Truck drivers in the U.S.

Freight Facility Operators/Schedulers in the U.S.

- U.S. Local Government Staff
- U.S. Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Staff

U.S. Port Staff

**From Chat:** from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 9:12 AM <a href="https://fehrandpeers.mysocialpinpoint.com/nchrp-truck-parking">https://fehrandpeers.mysocialpinpoint.com/nchrp-truck-parking</a>

### Christopher Eaves: Will do!

**Stanley Ryter:** I just wanted to call the board's attention to an opinion piece that was written in the Seattle *Times,* on June 9. It was co-authored by Megan Kruse, who is a

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Stan Ryter

# Goods movement article in

#### Seattle Times

https://www.seattletimes.c om/opinion/uncheckedurban-freight-undercutsseattles-goals-its-time-toact/ frequent public speaker. She has come a couple of times and talked about the need for delivery space in buildings. It was good to see her thoughts on paper. I encourage everyone to read it. June 9 Sunday paper. She just makes points about how ecommerce has kind of doubled and tripled here recently, and there's not space, really, to take those vehicles into buildings to unload, and they spend a lot of time surfing the blocks and creating congestion. It was just an article to modernize how we think about urban freight delivery. I know she has had a lot of comments when public speaking. It would be good to read it and kind of think about it. It has lots of links to different things and data in there. I just wanted to point that out. June 9 Seattle *Times* editorial. Op-Ed page, Megan Kruse. She co-authored it with William Justin.

#### https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/unchecked-urban-freight-undercuts-seattlesgoals-its-time-to-act/

Another thing for the board to be aware of: I was just reading the Seattle *Times* this morning, and Amtrak is wanting to expand their maintenance base. And to do that, they would close Holgate between Occidental and 3rd. That's something the board maybe ought to take an interest in and follow. I think SDOT's position in the paper was, 'We are learning about it. We're going to do a study.' It's good not to react without all of the facts. The benefit to Amtrak is to have trains get there on the route between Eugene and Vancouver, BC, and from where the train is staged, it takes 45 minutes to get to King Street Station. That gets the time down to ten and make the whole thing more efficient. What the freight mobility impact is, is something I suggest this board take an interest in and follow the studies through fruition.

**Dan Gatchet:** Thank you. We ought to write a letter to SDOT, saying that we have a real interest in this, and please keep us posted. It would be on our radar and their radar, and that's what we're supposed to be doing, advising them.

**Stanley Ryter:** Right. Chris Eaves is our liaison, and can help guide us there.

**Christopher Eaves:** I will bring it up if the board is interested. My division director will hear that this is something we want to follow. So, spring boarding from that, Dan McKisson had an idea about a letter?

**Dan McKisson:** Thank you, Chris. I want to talk about the industrial lands legislation that's going to be hitting City Council on July 18. One of the things that Stan Ryter just

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

#### Stan Ryter-

Second article regarding Amtrak base expansion request that would close Holgate between Occidental and 3<sup>rd</sup>.

Suggest SFAB track the project and developments.

Dan Gatchet- Suggest SFAB write to SDOT noting interest and request to be kept posted.

Chris Eaves – Will note to Division Director.

brought up is the impact of what's going on, which hasn't been considered in that legislation, that Holgate proposition. We need to pay close attention to that. That 14,500 trips per day on that road. Your only other outlet is Lander Street, or further south at Spokane, or Edgar Martinez Way, which is SR 519. That legislation is hitting the Council on July 19, when there is a land use committee meeting. Two weeks ago, we thought there wasn't going to be any amendments. There are a lot of amendments to it. I'll go over those in a minute. But the problem is, this legislation is a product of a seven-year process, through three Mayors, of stakeholders working out what the industrial lands should look like. There is a lot of good stuff in there. Housing was negotiated: 3,000 units in different parts of the City. There's some security in this legislation, but unfortunately, it is being whittled away very guickly. Hit the Mayor's desk, and I want to talk specifically about the stated area, Overlay district down to Holgate. Hits the Mayor's desk with no housing proposed and no hotels in that stadium area overlay district, basically 25,000 square foot limits on the buildings. They went from 65 feet to 85 feet on the height, and I think the (unintelligible) went from 3.2 to 4.5, somewhere in there, so a little bit of expansion there. It is supposed to be urban industrial. It looks like it's turning into industrial in name only. Our concern is being able to get freight through there. SR 519, Atlantic Avenue, basically, once you hit that street from the Port, you've got three lights, so your next stop would be Boston, plus you could go north and south to Canada or Mexico on I-5. So, it's a major freight thoroughfare. We got a letter together from Ag groups, 25 signatures of Ag groups and unions. that are very concerned about what the City Council is considering. Since that legislation hit the Mayor's desk, there has been a big push to put housing in there, even though the developers, during the process, agreed to housing in other areas. Once the legislation is put to the Mayor's desk, they would want more housing down in the stadium area. And they call it workforce housing, but I'm not sure why. Freight workers aren't going to live on a major freight route, right? So, that got pushed back on and an agreement was made without us being involved to have hotels down there. So, we've been asking what those hotels look like. Everyone keeps telling us, 'Don't worry about it.' But, the whole area except for Alaska could have hotels. So, if full build-out, we need to see what that would be, and it may take three or four years, because you have to put your mitigation in to get people from point 'a' to point 'b,' without getting run over by trucks. Remember, SR 519 is a major freight street, 1st Avenue South is a heavy haul corridor. And there has not really been any consideration of this. The Council is considering a resolution to go with the bill that addresses some studies in this, but that's not as good as having something in the bill. Since the hotels have been added, they keep telling us it's a Mariners only hotel that wants to be built. That's on

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

#### Dan McKisson

Industrial Lands legislation discussion, background, and consideration that SFAB should weigh in. the corner of 1st and Edgar Martinez Way, SR 519.1 That's a 150 to 200 unit hotel, whatever it is. You can get people from there across the street without getting run over, hopefully. But it doesn't take into account that if you put 5,000 rooms south of that at some point. then your sidewalks are too small. It just seems to be short-sighted. We're rushing into that area. They're adding stuff. Resolution 6 of the land use committee increased the size of the entertainment square footage from 25,000 to 75,000, including sports entertainment. The retail space went from 25,000 to 40,000, so you're looking at a lot bigger units being put down there. So, this has all come at the last minute. Also, there's an amendment to put office space down by the 4th and Lander transit station, some office space on 1st Avenue, which it wasn't zoned for, so that would be another exception that we have concerns with. So, this is out there. We have a coalition that is trying to work with the Port to find out what we're really talking about, but it's really problematic to freight. As everyone knows, freight can't vote; freight can't speak. So, we need to be on top of this. We can't continually have blockages of Edgar Martinez Way, 1st Avenue South. This stuff is going to go in, which we don't recommend, because it's really taking it out of the industrial. It's being counted as a percent of the industrial area. Looking at it now, as I said before, it's industrial in name only, so we might as well just take it out of the equation and plan for it, if that is what is going to happen. We would like to keep it where people can move freely and get to eastern Washington so they can get their cargo to the ports. I wanted to put this on the radar. We have to look at some of this stuff. We are analyzing the amendments, analyzing what's going on. Chris Daniels had a big article on the blighted area down there. It's not blighted, it's industrial. We keep reminding people that during the Great Recession, SODO had a minimal decrease in occupancy. Local 19, our local group out there (unintelligible). That's what kept the City going. This is a Port City. We need to address this stuff, and not let them take these industrial lands away. Wanted to put that out there for you. If anybody wants to talk offline, I would be happy to talk and we can figure out how to deal with this problem. Thank you.

**Dan Gatchet:** Dan, are you advocating for the freight advisory board to weigh in or to look at this? What are you suggesting?

**Dan McKisson:** Yes, absolutely. And I'm remiss in not bringing this up earlier. We thought we had it somewhat under control, but here's what was going on. They came back hard with housing again, right? This is turning into an arena without the arena, something we fought ten years ago. The plan ten years ago was the entertainment district was put down there. Well, how does that work with freight? I was just up at a

graduation in Everett, and after the graduation, there were people standing in the street. That's not a major freight street. These are major freight streets. How do you keep people from gathering in front of my trucks? That's basically what I'm talking about. I think we should look at it. I think we should be prepared for the meeting on the 18th. The Port, when they testified at the land use committee meeting, said that if housing goes in there, the deal is done and they're out of it. We're still pushing back on housing, but some of this other stuff is, to my mind, a bit of a Trojan horse. These hotels, we are not really sure what they would look like. Short term, probably not a big impact, but long term, a huge impact. Yes, to answer your question, a damned yes!

**Dan Gatchet:** Can you send out the material on this, the letter that ILWU wrote, or that the coalition spoke about?

Dan McKisson: Yes, Chris Eaves has it. Can you distribute that, Chris?

Christopher Eaves: Yes, I intend to after the meeting.

**Dan McKisson:** We had a really good article from the Capital Press, that was very interested in this issue. Believe it or not, last week when ILWU was trying to wrap up their negotiations, they would rather talk about this issue rather than negotiations. That's how important it is to them.

**Christopher Eaves:** Okay. I'm going to pop in for one second and note that I thought I heard you talk about July 18 being a specific important date, Dan McKisson? That happens to be our next freight board meeting date. If that is the closure of comment time, there would need to be some type of connection of the freight board. We should talk about that, I think, at the end of our meeting.

Dan McKisson: Okay, thank you, Chris. Yes.

**Dan Kelly:** Outstanding! More than normal. I appreciate all of the good information. Next on our agenda is a presentation on West Marginal Way phase two. Chris, will you introduce our presenters?

# WEST MARGINAL WAY PHASE TWO PRESENTATION

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Dan Gatchet: Request to distribute material to board members after the meeting.

Recognition that July 18<sup>th</sup> is next meeting but is also scheduled voting date. **Christopher Eaves:** Yes. Venu Nemani, our City traffic engineer, and safety officer, as well as Sara Zora, with the PDD (unintelligible) Development Division, are going to present on West Marginal Way phase two. Do you have any presentation material to share? Danielle Friedman?

Danielle Friedman: Yes.

**Christopher Eaves:** Okay. I'll make you the presenter real quick.

Venu Nemani: Danielle, I can talk. Please feel free to jump in. Okay?

Thank you so much, everyone. Good morning again. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to come back to you to discuss West Marginal Way safety improvements a little bit further. We already discussed phase one, implementation, and also information on what they are doing for post-installation evaluation of phase one. We are here to gather some feedback and discuss what we have constrained for phase two, and then go into some next steps with the project.

We want to make West Marginal Way safer and smoother for all travelers, and maintain capacity and operations for freight traffic. We take this seriously, and we continue to collaborate with the freight board and the West Marginal Way Safety Coalition on various safety improvements along the corridor.

Phase one, where we have implemented a two-way protected bike lane on the west side of West Marginal Way, between Southwest Marginal Place and the Duwamish Longhouse. That has been completed in 2023. We have also completed the safety improvements, so those signs and markings that we have installed at all of the 17 driveway locations that we had identified on the east side of West Marginal Way, between south of the Duwamish Longhouse down to Highland Park. We have installed the protective barriers in the buffer area for the protected bike lane. So, now we are entering into the post-evaluation phase of this bike connection.

We are committed. We have collected a vast amount of data and information on West Marginal Way operations. But pre-Covid, during the high bridge closure, and post reopening the high bridge, we are completing a similar evaluation of West Marginal Way. They are collecting regular speeds in both directions, both traffic volumes, 24hour, on West Marginal Way by direction. They continue to collect other traffic volumes,

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

West Marginal Way Phase 2 Presentation:

Venu Nemani presenting

people walking and biking along this 2.5 mile long corridor, intersection turning movement volumes at all driveway locations along the corridor, and also monitor crashes where the bike lanes were implemented. Two things that we are also going to be collecting this year -- and this is something that we have heard directly from our partners in the west Marginal Way Safety Coalition -- is to look at bicycle speeds on the existing Duwamish Trail south of the Longhouse. And also, we understand that the data collection period is stopping after implementation. So, not only the crash history, but to better understand conflicts, we are going to be collecting some conflict information at various locations, between the trail users and the existing (unintelligible) that we have on the east side. So, this is our current plan. One thing that we want to discuss is the timing of the collection of this data. We want to make sure that any data that we collect on West Marginal Way, and the driveways, coincides with peak activity with the various kinds of businesses that operate on West Marginal Way. Last year, when we had collected information, we made (unintelligible)...higher speed, we were given an uncertain window to collect data, so that we have the highest accuracy for the time periods on the various driveways along the corridor. We are looking forward to getting some feedback on when that could be. Our tentative schedule to collect all of the data is in early August, but we can adjust our timeframe based on the feedback we receive on when we think there is the highest activity on those driveways, and make sure that our data collection coincides with those peak activities, so we have a good comparison for the before and after conditions.

As I said during our conversations even before, we are committed to improving safety for all users on West Marginal Way. And we have in the past been concerned about speeds. The pilot implementation of the protected bike lane showed some decreases in speeds along the corridor since the bike lane was implemented, but further down the 2.5 mile long stretch. we still are concerned with speeds. In the past, we had installed some signs that had a limited effect. Now we are looking at more treatments to moderate the speed. One thing that (unintelligible) roadway might conflict with more speeding with some of the friction points in a lot of places, but not necessarily (unintelligible) along the corridor, so we also acknowledge that there are a lot of businesses that are operating, and those businesses have access needs to turn into and out of their businesses and use the median to a left-turn lane (unintelligible) when making their turning movements. What we are reaching towards for the next incremental approach to speeds on West Marginal Way is to select locations away from driveways, where we can install a physical median with some plantings, maybe trees or shrubs that we can change how motorists perceive the corridor of West

Marginal Way, not as the huge roadway that it is, but to change that perspective also slightly. We have selected a couple of locations. Walking from south to north, the first location is just north of Front Street away from all of the driveways, before we get to (unintelligible). This particular location has, again, no driveways in that section. And then, with three other locations that we see to the north that are closer to the Duwamish Longhouse, just north of the Duwamish Longhouse between the new signal that we put in and the Duwamish Longhouse driveway, and two more locations north of there, one at the existing signal near Idaho Street and north of that. So, all of these locations are what we have selected preliminarily, away from the existing driveways so that we are not impacting their access, but to see if we can take this next incremental approach to these physical medians at select locations, and see how we can influence those speeds.

Median islands are an important safety element to change the perspective of the roadway and how motorists view them, and will hopefully promote slower speeds. Again, as I have been saying, we want to make sure, talking to the freight advisory board here and also the West Marginal Way Safety Coalition. We want to make sure that business access is maintained and we do not impact their ability to turn in and out, and use the median to make those turning movements. We need to understand the operations, the size and length, and even the location of these median islands are preliminary, and we have also done some door-to-door outreach on this corridor, to try to understand the proposed median locations, and understand the operations of various driveways. And we are looking at the feasibility of adding more median islands along the West Marginal Way corridor.

Another thing that has really bubbled up to our attention during the first phase is the intersection of Southwest Front Street. This is just north of Highland and West Marginal Way intersection, and this is a crossing where actually the bike crash that we had on this corridor actually in the last ten years, where we had one crash in the entire tenyear period along this entire corridor, and tried to identify any crashes between bicyclists and trucks, or any other turning movements going in and out of the driveways. We only had like one instance of a crash, between a pick-up truck and a bicyclist. And that location, that driveway is right at Front Street, but not in this driveway, north of this driveway here. This driveway really caught our attention, because it is one of the highest turning movements along this corridor. And this is a really large crossing at this intersection where the Duwamish Trail passes to continue further south of (unintelligible). So, what we are looking at is to look at the feasibility of

implementing a raised crosswalk to delineate the crossing that happens across this driveway, and (unintelligible) various trucks turn in an out. If we understand that when trucks are turning in, they pretty much take up the entire intersection when turning in or out of this movement. This is also probably one of the longest driveways that the Duwamish Trail crosses right near southwest Front Street and goes on to better delineate that train crossing and this intersection. What we are exploring here at this trail crossing on the east side of southwest Front Street to better delineate that between the train users and the trucks turning in and out.

As I said, we are doing outreach right now. we have emailed several businesses along the corridor, and have also made some in-person visits to gather more ideas. We have done a blog and seek some communi8ty feedback. We are still in the stage of exploring, and developing getting back some feedback on these proposed ides, and see how we can work with all of the factors here to develop the next phase of the improvements on West Marginal Way.

Some of the upcoming projects in 2023/2024: As you all know, the permanent signal at the Longhouse is already in place, and there are (unintelligible) that are installed at the intersection, but these are existing asphalt sidewalk that was installed on the West side of West Marginal Way, between (unintelligible) to the Duwamish Longhouse. What we are doing now is we are going back to rebuild that asphalt sidewalk in concrete. All the work is behind the curb, nothing is getting into West Marginal Way. We are trying to make that sidewalk improvement more permanent.

Our next steps are to look at the median island which we installed, and further develop the Trailways train crossing near southwest Front Street. We will be doing another round of outreach when we are a little bit further into this exploration and design process. We, again, are committed to doing installation evaluation of the protected bike lane that we have installed, and we want to understand the timeframe for when we can go and collect the extensive data that we have listed in our slides before. And once we have collected the data, we analyze that and come back here to the freight board and other forums to share those comparisons. The data on work at the Duwamish Longhouse is coming and we want to make that sidewalk connection a little bit more permanent than the asphalt sidewalk that we have. So, that is my presentation. I will pause and be happy to take any questions. First the question that Warren Aakervik had at the beginning of this meeting, and after that, see what other questions. Thank you.

Dan Kelly: I think Geri Poor has her hand raised.

**Geri Poor:** Thanks. Did you say that you wanted to take Warren Aakervik's question first?

Venu Nemani: Yes. I would be happy to answer Warren's question first, if you want it that way. Warren, thank you so much for your question. Absolutely, we are concerned about Vision Zero and take safety very seriously. We have had a little conflict between turning trucks and the Duwamish Trail users on the existing 17 driveways east of West Marginal Way, south of the Duwamish Longhouse. One thing that I want to say is that this particular Duwamish Trail crossing over those 17 driveways is an existing condition. It has been there for at least a decade. And when we have looked at the crash data, on all of the 17 driveways over the past ten years, we had zero bike crashes in that corridor. The one crash that we had was at the southwest Front Street -- not the intersection, but one driveway north of the intersection, and that was between a bicyclist and a pick-up truck that was accessing that median. So, right off the bat, we have a pretty good safety record for the conflict and those 17 driveways. We have a special concrete strip at either end of these driveways to remind motorists of the fact that they are entering a conflict area. What we have done as part of the phone one implementation is we have installed additional signs and markings. There are signs for drivers facing West Marginal Way that are turning into these driveways, asking them to watch for any freight users, and along the trail itself, we have also installed additional warning signs and Slow pavement markings at every single driveway, and strips to the driveway conflicts at either end that alerts drivers that they are entering any conflict area. We have also cleared all of the vegetation so that the lines of sight are really clear between the trucks that are turning and the bicyclists that are coming along. We have a best practices guide from the Northwest Seaport Alliance, and it has recommendations on how to manage trucks/bicyclists conflicts, and we have gone through that and made sure that everything recommended there was installed as much as feasible. We are committed to continuing our evaluation of these existing trail and driveway crossings, and we are collecting vast amounts of data later this summer, and we are also monitoring crashes and going one step ahead and are trying to identify our study conflicts at these locations. I can say that you can commute to work in the knowledge that we are best placed to manage those conflicts that are existing between the existing trail and the driveway locations as we go into the future. Thank you.

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Venu Nemani (Response to Warren Aakervik's question)

Signage, markings, low collisions

Incorporated NWSA recommendations how to manage truck/bicycle conflicts **Warren Aakervik:** I might just comment that I notice with a lot of medians and trees that dramatically impact sight distances, and when you have a truck running parallel to the roadways, when you turn right, the moment you start turning, you have no more sight. So, I think it becomes very dangerous even without many bicyclists that have been riding the road and the sidewalks, and everything else, when they have a free reign on bike paths, if you will, or the bike facility, they're going to believe that it's safe. Right turning trucks just don't have a chance of seeing them. So, I think you need to pay special attention to that movement. Left turning trucks have the same problem. When you have a bunch of trees up the median, you can't have enough sight distance. So, as the traffic in both modes of transportation increase, I think you're going to have a lot more conflicts. I think safety, actually, is the biggest issue. Thank you.

**Venu Nemani:** The medians that we are proposing are away from all driveways. That's one thing that we want to ensure is that we don't impact any existing access for businesses and trucks turning in and out. But you are absolutely right. Sight lines are the biggest and first thing that we actually have done, and we continue to sight lines in our minds as to how can we ensure that we have proper sight lines at each one of these driveway locations along the corridor.

Geri Poor: I have questions.

**Christopher Eaves:** Okay. Geri, if you would bring them up, and then we are going to go to Claudia Hirschey and Jeanne Acutanza, and then open it to the room for any questions they may have.

**Geri Poor:** Great. Thanks. Venu, I have four questions. First of all, thanks for getting this word out there and coming to us today. The first email that I saw on it said we needed to comment within two weeks. But then I heard we're coming to the board. So, could we get some clarity as to when we need to get our comments in. And tied in with that, is there an opportunity for an open house where we can sit down and look at the thought lines on the thing, and understand where the medians might go. That's my first question.

**Venu Nemani:** Danielle Friedman just told me -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but absolutely I would say that we want to work with you. We want to workshop these ideas with you, and I would be more than happy to sit down and draw up a plot of where we can string these. And maybe there are other locations where we have not

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Geri Poor – questions

1. Clarity on response timing please?

Venu: want to work with and workshop this with you.

considered, that you might know, and even better, influence the speeds on West Marginal Way. Our commitment is to identify locations away from driveways. We can install these medians and try to change how motorists respond. I would be happy to sit down with you and others, Geri, to workshop these ideas.

**Geri Poor:** I look forward to that. That is wonderful. And I hope that we will know well ahead of when we have to get the comments in, when the deadline is.

My second question is a significant concern about the raised crossing across the driveway. I am not a commercial driver, yet I have been told by others who are that when a truck is making that turn, if they have to mount up over the raise, the truck will twist and turn in a way that damages the truck. So, that's something else we will want to talk to you about.

**Venu Nemani:** The design that we are considering there, Geri, is that the raised crossing is more of a parabolic design as we go up. So, that is something that we are reaching to a further design on how to make sure that when these trucks are turning, usually the right turning speed is about ten or twelve miles an hour. Usually, when a truck turns, it is at that speed or even slower, because it's a larger vehicle. So, what we are trying to do is to make sure that the raised crossing that we are trying to design right now is made to accommodate trucks over that raised crossing as it turns into southwest Front Street.

**Geri Poor:** Perhaps, that's something that we can talk about when we meet, then, because I'm not sure that answers my concern. Actually, I only have one more question. I saw an article today about speeding, a designating this as a no-racing zone, so that you can do cameras. And that seems like a part of this story. Is that something you can comment on?

**Venu Nemani:** That is something that I cannot comment on today, but I'm aware of a proposal that's in the Council regarding racing zones within the City. I don't recall that off the top of my head.

**Geri Poor:** Yes, what I saw was the City was considering designating this as a noracing zone, so that you could use traffic cameras to enforce the speed limit. so, it seems like that is an important part of this study, too. Thank you.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

2. Significant concern about raised crossings across the driveway. Understand that trucks turning and mounting a raise will twist/turn in a way that damages the truck

Venu: Considering a parabolic design. Usually trucks turn slowly and we are trying to make sure can accommodate truck over raised crossing on SW Front St

3. Noting an article that Council is considering designating WMW a noracing zone. Any info?

Venu: No info but aware of the proposal

Geri Poor: May need to be part of this study.

**Claudia Hirschey:** I have a multi-part question, too. Venu, I really, really appreciated your data collection list for after implementation. That will be really valuable. It's a big list. And you mentioned before and after comparisons. Do you have that data available for the before?

**Venu Nemani:** Yes! Absolutely, we have data available. We have so many before that I can give you data from just after the high bridge opened. When the high bridge was closed, we had collected all of that data. And also, when we had the high bridge opened, into the pilot of the bike connection. We collected several rounds of before data. I would be happy to make that available to you.

**Claudia Hirschey:** That would make it helpful when evaluating proposals. then, while you were talking, you mentioned in the past ten years, there was only one bike/vehicle crash. That actually caused me to ask myself or you, as well, if the crash rate was so low, why are we making any changes? What is driving it, and then, why here as opposed to other locations where we do have a history of crashes?

**Venu Nemani:** When we started to engage with the West Marginal Way Safety Coalition last year before phase one of that bike connection, they were very concerned about the additional users using the Duwamish Trail and their driveway operations. At that point in time, this expanded larger safety enhancements for the entire corridor, including taking a very close look at all of the existing driveways. the safety coalition expressed concerns about speeding, and we have continued to connect with some counter-measures concerning speeding on West Marginal Way. That is how safety for the entire corridor, not just for people walking and biking along the corridor, but freight and safety operations became the primary focus of our evaluation, and that's how it expanded into a larger safety study.

Claudia Hirschey: So, the focus is primarily the speeds.

**Venu Nemani:** The focus was on a number of things: the safety of the trail; the interactions at the various driveway locations; the operation of the protected bike lane; along with speeds and operations along West Marginal Way.

**Claudia Hirschey:** You mentioned the major trucks streets. When we do workshop this with the freight community, I just want to emphasize the importance of bringing all of the geometry of the proposals, as it relates to truck operations. So, the lane widths,

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Claudia Hirschey: Multipart question also 1. Appreciate data collection list – is there before data?

Venu: Yes – happy to make data available

2. Crash data noted (1 in 10 years), so why are changes being made, what is driving it and why here as opposed to locations with histories of crashes.

Venu: Concerns about speeding as well as additional trail use, so speeding countermeasures are being considered. Focus in on trail, driveway interactions, PBL operations, speeds, and operations on WMW the truck turning templates already applied that can be demonstrated at each of these locations. If something is missing, then we'll just get into these high-level arguments that are not very useful.

Venu Nemani: Thank you, Claudia.

**Christopher Eaves:** I want to note that Jeannie Acutanza, you're up next. We are working to keep public comment at the end. I inadvertently stepped on Dan's toes on that. Nigel Barron?

**Nigel Barron:** Yes, thank you. You've got this data that shows that you've had one accident in ten years. So, requesting as you're collecting a pile of data now, what happens if that data shows that you've actually increased conflicts and problems with the results of this project? What's the next step then? Ten years, one accident. Three years, two accidents. After this, what is the next step?

**Venu Nemani:** We have to continue our safety investigations, Nigel. One thing that we have not collected in the before data, was that there was pretty much no crash history on this corridor. So, that is one thing that we have during our past collection of data, and in a very short period of time since we installed the phase one implementation. We are collecting this after data for a few months. So, that is the reason why we are trying to collect information on conflicts and the use of driveways. You asked a very pertinent question. What if there are conflicts down the road in the future? Then we have to figure out what other safety improvements can we pursue in these locations, and how can we better delineate that conflict, and manage the conflicts in all of the existing driveways. These conflicts today are from the existing trail. These are existing driveways, so our work is to try to improve those existing conditions, given that we have made that connection up north. We are also curious as to how that changes the operations on the trail in terms of the number of users and when they use it, and how they use it. So, this data collection is part of a larger attempt to continue to understand and continue to invest in safety improvements along the corridor.

**Christopher Eaves:** Thank you. I want to move us to any questions from the Boards and Commissions room.

**Dan Gatchet:** I'll make a comment. I think it's great to get down to the support things. I am somewhat surprised, being an ex-trucker, that there was only one accident there

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

3. Please bring all geometry relevant to trucks – lane widths, turning templates, etc. to avoid high-level arguments.

Nigel Barron: What happens if conflicts and collisions actually increase?

Venu: Collecting data for phase 1 for a few months. If conflicts in future then must pursue other safety improvements.

Want to see what changes occur in a larger sense.

Dan Gatchet -Somewhat surprised only 1 collision in 10 years. Applaud action, but if collisions increase it is more of a side issue. Glad also to hear of data gathering. in ten years. That's somewhat surprising. When it goes to quantity, it really wasn't a safety issue, then why are we doing it? Since you've already started the implementation of these different safety aspects, I applaud you for getting it done, but if there is an increase in accidents on that corridor, I would agree with Warren Aakervik. It's more of a side issue. Putting out shrubbery and trees where drivers cannot see adequately when they come to a driveway there. But, good for you for getting the data. That tells a pretty story.

**Venu Nemani:** Thank you. Our goal is not to install medians or vegetation at locations where trucks would be turning in and out, and workshop these median locations with all of our partners away from the driveways at sections where there are no turning movements in those locations. Thank you.

**Stanley Ryter:** I see a real subtlety here. The more you make safety improvements for the bike path, the more you attract those features, which isn't a good thing for an industrial area. I also think that the data collection is outstanding, and I'm glad that you are putting thought into all of these things. But one thing to keep in mind, as you put the safety improvements and the barriers and of that, you attract less experienced users. Just from that fact, you may see an increase in accidents. And you might see an increase in volume, also. Whenever you tweak the system, things change. So, it's good to keep collecting the data. Thank you.

Venu Nemani: Thank you so much.

**Dan Kelly:** A couple of things from me. In your presentation, when you were talking about phase one, the one thing I would suggest is that I don't believe the treatments on the east side of West Marginal Way have been completed. I don't believe so. And then, you also mentioned that the role of vegetation was completed, and I don't think that that has been done adequately. We had folks that went with SDOT along there, and identified those trees to trim down. They did remove some, but then, we were told that no more would be removed. So, there is still some risk there.

A couple of questions that I have: How are you currently collecting this conflict data that you have been referring to? How does that come to you?

**Venu Nemani:** We would be using cameras that are installed at these locations, the same way we use them to collect traffic counts at these locations. We would be using

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Stan Ryter: Applaud the data, but improvements can attract less experienced users which may itself increase accidents.

Dan Kelly: Unsure phase 1 treatments have been completed. Noted vegetation trimming was completed – don't believe it was adequate. How is conflict data being collected?

Venu – video camera

that to determine the conflicts in the times that we have installed these cameras and collecting that information.

Dan Kelly: Okay, thank you. And then also, just a comment. A few of the points that were brought up previously, when phase one was put in, were those lights would remain, too. One of the points from that evaluation, and I believe it was mine, was, while I appreciate the data, I think it was a pretty narrow view. At the time when they did the initial data, was a day or two during the week when they had done that evaluation. And I would also suggest, maybe as follow-up, 24 hours may not be (unintelligible), then to give you the information that you're looking for, kind of give you a snapshot. And I think it would be difficult to pick any particular day that is ideal in all conditions with the truck and the bike. And then, I would agree with the comments on the raise, being very familiar with that turn that's going in there, and having hundreds of trucks that go in there, very concerned about putting any kind of a raised crosswalk in there. And I think you're getting a lot of feedback about that. I appreciate the presentation, and would agree that maybe a two-week window for information back on this, especially when I don't think the raised crosswalk was any part of the initial presentation, or was talked about in the phasing that we've got. And I don't know, from a freight board standpoint, Chris Eaves, as our liaison to the freight board, were you consulted, at all with the raised crosswalk?

**Christopher Eaves:** The West Marginal Way project team has been involved in heading this. I haven't had the opportunity to make comment yet.

**Venu Nemani:** We haven't started the design yet. We are developing the design and will show what it looks like to all of you.

**Dan Kelly:** Great. In the last question, we were talking about putting medians in the turn lanes. Can you help me understand how that impacts the speed of the traffic lanes?

**Venu Nemani:** Yes. What we have identified, what we have seen, both (unintelligible) and installations is that when you change the perspective of how a motorist sees a multi-lane roadway, that affects their speed behavior. So, that is something that we have seen at the medians that we have recently installed on Delridge. It's the next incremental step we are trying. We are not proposing and implementing this median for the entire corridor, but only at selection locations. We are looking into how best to size

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Dan Kelly – comments regarding collection and presentation. Ask if C. Eaves had been consulted with regard to raised crosswalk

C Eaves – haven't had opportunity to make comments yet

Venu – we are taking input ahead of the design

Dan Kelly – Please help us understand how gradients in turn lanes impact speed of traffic lanes

Venu- When you change the perspective for a motorist, it changes the look and feel of a corridor and naturally calms speeds them, and also where to locate them, actually. So, we change that look and feel of West Marginal Way as being this huge, multi-lane corridor and change that perspective and naturally calm the speeds.

**Dan Kelly:** I would suggest in those turn lanes, there's a lot of driver usage. When they find themselves in a wrong area or didn't make the turn, there's no way for them to get anywhere, so they do use that turn lane as a place to be safe while they make their decision on where they're going to go.

**Christopher Eaves:** I'm going to note two things. We're over time, and our next presenters do have a bit of a schedule. Jeanne and Christine, I recognize that you have your hands up. Is it okay to put your questions into chat. I apologize. Dan McKisson, I recognize that you have a hand up. Can you ask any question as quickly as possible so we can roll to the next? I apologize.

**From Chat:** from Christine Wolf to everyone: 10:09 AM Appreciate the offer for workshop, data collection efforts, and review of our document. One big issue for me: Safety is everyone's responsibility--after safety first that is the 2nd tenant for us. Fear that the approach to keep adding features might give riders a false sense of safety. They still need to be attentive and factor in that humans aren't perfect--although truck drivers are the safest drivers on the road...

**From Chat:** from Jeanne Acutanza to everyone: 10:16 AM Two questions for Venu re: WMW. Is this an over legal route and hoping box doesn't conflict with median trees. Also have seen working trains rest or turning across driveways blocking some access for longer periods of time resulting with extensive lines of trucks. Medians should allow adequate storage for these trucks queuing waiting for access. May want to observe. Finally, the first phase of WMW, should result in higher bike traffic and as someone mentioned less experienced cyclists suggest an increase of exposure.

**Dan McKisson:** Yes, thank you. If it's okay with Chair Kelly, I would like to go off the West Marginal Way just quickly now, and ask about possible bike lanes in the stadium overlay district, if that's okay with you, Chairman? I just wanted to ask a question about if there is any consideration of bike lanes in the stadium overlay district on the heavy haul corridor on 1st Avenue South or Atlantic Street. If there are, could the Seattle Freight Advisory Board be consulted at some point Three are a lot of changes going on

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Dan Kelly -noting that turn lanes act as refuges for people driving trucks to make decisions regarding access and route correction.

Questions From Chat: Christine Wolf

Jeanne Acutanza

Dan McKisson – Request for information regarding bike lanes in Stadium District and for SFAB to be kept informed and consulted.

C Eaves to follow up – bike lanes in Stadium District down there. I'm sure there are going to be different modes of transportation. So, I'd like to know if there has been any consideration for bike lanes down there at this point.

**Dan Kelly:** I think Chris Eaves is writing that question down. Perhaps he will be able to follow up with the board on that?

**Christopher Eaves:** Thank you all. That's obviously an important discussion topic. I would like us to get on to the Reconnect South Park presentation. Cayce James, could you tell me who is presenting? Is it you?

# **RECONNECT SOUTH PARK PRESENTATION**

**Cayce James:** We were planning to have Maria Ramirez present this morning, but unfortunately, she is having some connection issues, so I will go through the presentation on her behalf. I'm also joined with Lauren Squires and Christopher Forinash from Nelson Nygard Consulting. They are helping with the tactical analysis for this project. Do you guys want to say hi real quick?

I am Cayce James, with the City of Seattle. I have been managing the Reconnect South Park work from the City side. Today, I'll try to get through this presentation quickly. I know that we are over time. We are really excited to hear from you, and we're going to leave some time for questions and comments at the end.

The Reconnect South Park coalition is a broad cross section of designers, organizers, community leaders, film makers within South Park, the mid-Duwamish Valley, Georgetown, that have gotten together to talk about this idea with their neighbors through different events and meetings, and so forth. Basically, the concept that they're working with is wondering if there are ways to rethink the segment of SR 99 that currently divides the South Park neighborhood in two, and how to better support community health and well-being. This is a map that shows the primary focus area that they are thinking about, which again, is that a segment of 99 divides South Park. But changes to that segment would probably have implications to the 99/599 corridor to the south. So, that is part of our consideration in this work. We are in a very early stage of this project, and basically, at this point, the community team is starting to form, and we have the technical team that's here with us today. They have just finished up with their existing conditions and created a story map to show some of their findings, and are starting to dig into our technical analysis phase. So, we will be doing a potential future

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Reconnect South Park Presentation:

Cayce James: Plan was to have Maria Ramirez present but connection issues prevented this.

Reconnect South Park asks to rethink the segment of SR-99 that currently divides the South Park neighborhood in two

Story map link DRAFT STORYMAP: Reconnect South Park (arcgis.com) analysis over the summer that the team will be leading. Through that work, they will be looking at essential impacts of multiple different configurations of the highway. And that work will be done in collaboration with folks from the community, who we are checking in with on a regular basis so they can oversee that. And we're also trying to collaborate with an agency staff and other stakeholders, as well, like yourselves, to make sure that a wide variety of different perspectives and interests are being embedded into these considerations.

At a national level, this is a growing conversation. there has been a lot of different media coverage, and there's also the new Reconnecting Communities program that was created by the Biden administration that is intended to support projects like this. Reconnect South Park was one of the first 45 projects around the country that received a Reconnect Communities grant to study this idea. That money won't come online for some time, but that is intended to studies of the future phases of this work, get more detail on traffic modeling, and so forth.

Basically, a lot of the reason why this is a growing conversation is just more recognition of the disproportionate impacts that highways often have had for communities of color, often related to the ways that they were initially planned, and some of the impacts that can occur as a result of that. We're going to go through this pretty quick, but South Park is on the Duwamish River. It was originally inhabited by the Duwamish People, who still live in that area today. After colonization, it was a diverse farming community. This is what South Park looked like in 1936 when the highway was built. It cut through 22 local streets. And this is what South Park looks like today. Basically, when SR 99 was originally was planned, there was also a coexisting plan to remove the South Park and Georgetown neighborhoods entirely, and relocate from these neighborhoods to different areas in West Seattle and South Seattle. So, part of the reason why the highway was designed the way it was probably because of that plan. So, South Park today is a really thriving community. There are a ton of different community-based organizations that do a lot of volunteer work for their community. There's a lot of youth programming, a lot of effort during the pandemic, to make sure that there was food security for the neighborhood. Around South Park is also a thriving industrial area that provides a lot of employment and services, and opportunities for both local and regional residents.

But South Park also faces many environmental challenges. The industrial areas can have some impacts on neighborhood health, in terms of emissions and air pollution.

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Nationally – growing conversation about reconnecting communities

Recognition of disproportionate impacts of highways on communities of color There are also impacts from multiple different highways, the Duwamish Superfund site, and multiple flight paths that fly over the neighborhood. Due to these impacts, there is a 13-year lower life expectancy in the South Park neighborhood than any other Seattle neighborhood.

Living next to highways has shown many different health concerns, but youth and the elderly are most vulnerable. One of the main issues with this segment of the highway is that every single place in South Park where youth congregate and spend time is directly next to the highway. That includes the elementary school, the library, the community center, and the skate park, and more. This is what the community calls the scary trail. It's often what kids use to get around the highway in order to go to school in the morning. And there are a lot of safety concerns that arise from trying to get across the highway.

So, we are going to look at multiple different alternatives, and I will go through some of the different possibilities at a high level. One thing, of course, is to keep things as they are; look at mitigation methods for some of the concerns that the community has raised. Another thing would be to convert the highway to an arterial, add some different crossings or intersections; basically to do some type of redesign that allows for great community connectivity, while keeping the highway intact in some way or form. Another option would be to remove it or to underground it, which would open up opportunities for community priorities, such as affordable housing. It would also create more space for a lot more industrial land for increased industrial activity. And then, looking at the 99/599 to the south, there is also some potential opportunities that could come from a narrowing of that roadway, creating space for the 33-mile Green River Trail that extends to the south, as well as shoreline habitat restoration. Just taking a closer look at that cross-section through that area, this image in from SR 99 just south of South Park in Tukwila. And you can see in this instance accommodating about two-thirds of the traffic volumes were at 99 in SODO with twice the roadway width, so we're thinking about possibilities for maintaining traffic volumes and speeds, but considering a narrowing of that roadway.

So, again, we're just getting into these technical studies, and there's a lot of work left to do, but just at a high level, some of the initial things that we've noticed are that traffic that comes through this segment is relatively low, especially compared to other nearby highways. And there are also several other NHS routes or major arterials that run north/south, all within one mile of the segment in question.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Environmental challenges including flight paths emissions and air pollution. 13 year lower life expectancy in South Park than any other Seattle neighborhood.

Multiple alternatives will be discussed from improved connectivity around 99 to undergrounding or removing.

Opportunities such as trail connection and shoreline habitat restoration are possible

Just beginning and want to have the initial conversations Right now, on the community side, they are focused on just having these initial conversations with folks, talking about this idea, trying to hear what different folks from the residential and business and industrial communities are coming from, trying to work a lot with the youth, because this is something that is oriented around their future, and doing some creative workshops with community members. And then, on the technical side, we will be moving into our potential future study. And I will pass it over to our technical team to talk about it.

**Lauren Squires:** Thanks, Cayce. Hi, everyone. This is Lauren. I am joined by my colleague, Chris Forinash. We work at Nelson Nygard, and we're supporting Cayce and the OPCD team, and the Reconnect south Park coalition.

To begin scoping a technical assessment of what potential futures for 99 could be, and that's why we're interested in your feedback here today. We recently had an agency workshop that many of you participated in. Thank you for your time three. We're gathering feedback for what it could look like, what you would like us to study, especially from a freight/industrial perspective of this key corridor that connects the Port and many points south, as well as it is a seismic lifeline. You see here on Cayce's screen some of the potential futures that were presented earlier. I'm going to show you the screen now, and share with you a bit of what we've heard, and just welcome your feedback, both in the chat, and then with the brief conversation we have here today.

So, June 6, we pulled a bunch of folks together to discuss these three topics of the many agency initiatives and priorities, both in South Park and along 99. This is where we are interested in some of your feedback here today. What are some of the key considerations that should inform the potential future for SR 99. How can our technical analysis and this team help provide information related to those concerns. We also ask people to envision South Park and 99 in 30 years, with many of the themes like electrification and the changing ways that people and goods move. We are interested in envisioning that future together in line with the community's priorities. We will make this summary available, but I will just kind of spin through it. We inventoried many of the past, present, and future initiatives along the corridor in South Park, as well as many buckets of technical analysis, of the value that this team can provide in envisioning the potential futures for 99. So, looking at environmental resilience, both sea level rise impacts, flood risks, the potential for electrification infrastructure, emission

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Lauren Squires and Chris Forinash with Nelson Nygard (consultants):

Will scope and assess potential futures.

Recent agency workshop identified need for industrial perspective, and that 99 is a seismic lifeline.

June 6<sup>th</sup> – discussed three topics NOTE: Bold added for emphasis reduction and analysis, resilience district opportunities with community development and anti-displacement work, where opportunities to stabilize both current and future workers and residents in South Park, looking at the mobility and accessibility connections both transit and non-motorized. And then, down here, with freight access and industrial mobility, which is you all's purview. Any feedback you have here. So, looking at where trucks travel today and where they will be in the future, kind of a regional industrial mobility network analysis. Looking at travel times, emissions and reliability for current and future trips, knowing that Puget Sound Gateway and SR 509 are slated for a massive project. What would the impact be to small and mid-sized industrial businesses in South Park thriving, mid-sized industrial make their community there.

These are some of the things that we're hearing. We are interested in your feedback, if we have enough time. I know we have eight minutes left to this meeting, but we welcome your ongoing partnership and collaboration on this. Cayce or Chris Eaves, is there anything that you want to say before we jump into discussion?

Christopher Eaves: Nothing on my side.

**Cayce James:** Thank you for sharing. As Lauren mentioned, we are very interested in getting your feedback before we move into next steps.

**Dan McKisson:** I'll make a comment. The presentation was great. I think the history is really interesting. I wish we had more time to look at your deck. But, the only comment I would have is 509 and I-5 are great north/south corridors, but the trucking industry is always looking for redundancy. And as well know, on I-5, a lot of stuff can happen; 509 maybe not as much, but 99 is a straight corridor. How much use it gets compared to the other ones, I guess the data you will collect will show that. But freight redundancy is kind of a key thing.

**Stanley Ryter:** I'll make a couple of comments. Thanks for the presentation. The history is fascinating there. I really appreciate your photos that show the neighborhood being dissected diagonally. And I think I saw in your write-up (unintelligible) understand the data. What happens after that project 509. Does that pull enough volume? That's going to increase truck traffic through that corridor because it will make a direct link to I-5. So, just the same as you made that picture of South Park, pull that picture back through the Port of Seattle, industrial areas all the way to I-5, the 509 interchange, and

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Feedback requested

Dan McKisson- 99 offers a redundancy corridor – something freight is interested in.

Stanley Ryter: What are the impacts to the other routes such as I-5 and (SR) 509? What happens at the 509 interchange? gather the freight network stories. There are lots of potential solutions and hopefully, there's some funding. Certainly, if I lived in South Park, I would probably want that gone or reduced in some way. There are a lot of things to balance in that. Continue your good work.

**From Chat:** from James, Cayce to everyone: 10:23 AM presentation link: <u>https://www.beautiful.ai/player/-NSDSQL7zJNLgd\_rdqRn</u>

**Dan Kelly:** Any questions in the chat?

**Christopher Eaves:** Yes, there are two questions. Dan McKisson?

**Dan McKisson:** Thank you for that presentation and thank you for including the Gateway project because that is going to change what's going on through that corridor. I might have missed it, but are looking at potential growth in the industries and the freight moving through the region? We just had a meeting with the federal maritime Commissioner Max Vekich, and he thinks it's going up by four times in the future. We also have offshore wind coming. There's going to be a whole ton of Port space needed for those projects. The Port of Seattle is positioning itself to be a supply chain for southern California. So, looking at what's coming and where we're at with potential growth and handling that, the last mile is key to making these ports work efficiently and not attack the neighborhood so significantly. Thank you.

**Nigel Barron:** That presentation was great. The slide that I am curious about was you showed a slide on the pollution hotspots along the freeway. If you close that, those cars will go somewhere else, not the 509 but Marginal. Have you consulted with those neighborhoods that are going to see increase pollution? Because, when you look at the map, there's housing next to 509, so it seems that this could be wonderful for South Park, but what will it do to the neighborhoods where those cars are going to end up? Including, obviously, cars that were going to go through South Park when that's closed.

**Cayce James:** Yes, those are definitely great points that we are thinking about. We are very serious about this work, I think, but in terms of engaging the other communities, that has been a priority. There are a lot of folks from Georgetown that have been involved on the community side, but there are still more connections that they're working on building with Tukwila and other neighborhoods. So, it's still a work in

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Dan McKisson – Thank you for including the gateway project. Are you looking at potential industry growth?

NOTE: Bold added for emphasis

Nigel Barron: Curious about pollution hot spots along the freeway – what impacts to other neighborhoods will occur when traffic is displaced?

Cayce James – priority to engage other communities

progress, and we hope to be able to do some of that engagement. I think that's a key concern with this project. Trying to make sure that we're not moving a problem from one place to another. We're still trying to find ways to address that.

**Geri Poor:** Hi, thanks. I put my questions in the chat, along with my comment that I, like everyone else, appreciates this background and community involvement. I would like to know if the community -- you listed the options that the community wanted to look at, and I wondered if a lid over portions of the freeway was one of them. I wonder if we could get a copy of existing conditions, work that Nelson Nygard has done, and perhaps supplement it with more information. Similarly, I know -- and Nigel Barron talked about this -- but I wonder what the specific environmental analysis, looking down the road, if a decision is made about the road, what environmental analysis is required. This is something we have in EIS, so it is something that would be done with an environmental assessment. Thank you.

From Chat: from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 10:25 AM 1) did the community want to explore a LID over the freeway? 2) may we review your existing conditions analysis? 3) what level of environmental analysis will be undertaken before the road might be changed -- what about impacts to other neighborhoods?

**Cayce James:** In terms of the first question, honestly, Geri, that came from you. That was your idea. Yes, we want to put everybody's ideas on the table. I think the community hasn't been as oriented around that idea, but I think they are open to exploring all of the options and trying to make sure that we're finding solutions that work for everyone. Then, in terms of the existing conditions analysis, they put the story map -- if you look into the chat, there's a link there that summarizes a lot of the findings from that phase. And, in terms of the environmental analysis, we are very early on in the process. We are still scoping out that part of the work, but it will definitely be a large part of the work to come, but I don't think we have that fully scoped out yet.

**From Chat:** from Lauren Squires she/her to everyone: 10:29 AM Here's the StoryMap that we've created to support engagement around the Reconnect South Park project: <u>https://arcg.is/9KaXH</u>

### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Geri Poor: Questions put in chat.

NOTE: Bold added for emphasis

Cayce James: LID suggested by Geri, all ideas should be on table. Existing conditions – story map (link in text) has findings. Environmental analysis – early in process **Geri Poor:** Yes. I didn't anticipate it. I just wondered how the process works as we look out over time. On the existing conditions analysis, have you done the data collection for trucks versus cars. In the story map, there was (unintelligible).

**Lauren Squires:** This is the work that we're doing now, Geri. We're just beginning. We welcome everyone's collaboration to share. Christine Wolf, I see your question regarding getting updated data. This is what we are embarking on together now. We're beginning to assemble that.

**From Chat:** from Christine Wolf to everyone: 10:27 AM Chris and Lauren: Do you have truck classification counts for the AADT you were showing? It will be important to take a closer look at truck movements. from Christine Wolf to everyone: 10:28 AM

**Geri Poor:** So, you haven't done existing conditions on the traffic yet?

**Lauren Squires:** No. Not yet. We're scoping that with everyone's feedback right now.

**Dan Kelly:** Anything else online?

**Geri Poor:** I'll just say that I think that we have submitted some question to you in a memo. The Port has submitted some scoping kinds of information, so you have access to that.

Lauren Squires: Yes, I appreciate that.

**Howard Agnew:** And Chris Eaves, would you send out those links from the chat? I can't chat from here.

**Christopher Eaves:** Yes. I have multiple notes for links on both of these presentation topics, and others for today's announcements.

**Dan Kelly:** We might be able to pass around a piece of paper for this. And we apologize for the time that you had to go through the slide decks so quickly, but will that slide deck be available for us?

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Lauren Squires -noting Christine Wolf question regarding truck movement data

Existing conditions need to be done – scoping feedback right now

Geri Poor – Port submitted questions as a memo.

Slide deck link will be distributed.

Lauren Squires: Yes.

**From Chat:** from Christine Wolf to everyone: 10:31 AM Lauren, when you say everyone, will you include the partner agencies like NSWA and the Port?

**Dan Kelly:** Outstanding. Thank you so much. As mentioned earlier, we want to be able to open up lastly for any public comments on any of the topics or topics in general. So, if you put it in the chat, let us know if you would like to be recognized so Chris Eaves can get you in here.

# **PUBLIC COMMENT**

**Dan McKisson:** Thank you. I just have a public comment. I just want to go over what I talked about earlier on that, and the next steps that the board could possibly do on this legislation that is coming to the City Council. Chris Eaves or Chair Kelly, our next meeting is the same day. Is there a way to correspond before that? Something from the freight advisory board that can be brought up and passed by the Seattle Freight Advisory Board?

**Dan Kelly:** This might be better if we had some history of how that has worked best from groups looking for support from the freight advisory board.

**Christopher Eaves:** Ultimately, there would be discussion and vote. I would like to suggest that our topics today had a lot of questions, a lot of links, data, and info. There is at least one comment, Dan McKisson's, on next steps for the board that probably we should discuss in a meeting that will deal with outcomes. I'm not sure that we've got all of the time in the world to do. I'm questioning whether a 30-minute, 45-minute session that we now see might be important for the board.

**Dan Kelly:** Looking for any board reaction to that proposal. Chris Eaves is talking about finding a time of 30 or 45 minutes between now and our next meeting to be able to dive into this topic in particular.

**Christopher Eaves:** This, and I think West Marginal Way. We've got a lot of questions.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Closing Public comment:

Dan McKisson – Would like to go over next steps to respond to industrial lands actions – next meeting is July 18<sup>th</sup> which is same day comment is due. **Dan Kelly:** I would be totally in favor of that, trying to get feedback from the rest of the board.

**From Chat:** from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 10:36 AM could we meet this time next week? the following Tues is 4th of July

**From Chat:** from Howard Agnew to everyone: 10:34 AM I may have trouble getting an additional day for a mid-meeting unfortunately.

**From Chat:** from Howard Agnew to everyone: 10:34 AM Could we perhaps consider working on issues via e-mail?

**Dan Gatchet:** West Marginal Way we could put off, but I always dislike having to make decisions quickly. But we need to be nimble enough to be able to call a 30-minute meeting, but it needs to be structured. I think Dan McKisson, you're a perfect person to lead us on this. I would want a lot more information before I we have a real strong letter, but I think we want to express our concerns with a lot more information. We want to be included. And somehow, if you can get some background before we have this new meeting, I would like to suggest that we do have a 30-minute meeting sometime before the City meets.

**Dan McKisson:** We've got a consultant working on this, who will break it down so I can understand it. Once we get that, I think that our group can try to take a stronger position and see which way we want to go. We can present that. There's a resolution that is being worked on. I'm not sure if it is public yet. We worked on some drafts, but I don't want to step on that land use committee. They're going to have a couple of meeting before the 18th to discuss the resolution, and may offset some of the problems. That is the consultation, and we'll see where we're at on the resolution when those things are set up. I can recommend a meeting time to Chris Eaves.

**Christopher Eaves:** Okay. I will add that to the list of items that are coming out in email to remind people. Geri is suggesting we meet at this time next week.

**Geri Poor:** I was just looking at the future Tuesdays, since most of us are free at this time. Two weeks from now is the 4th of July.

From Chat: from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 10:36 AM

### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Dan Gatchet- Suggestion for Working Meeting and background from Dan McKisson

Dan McKisson - Will provide information

could we meet this time next week? the following Tues is 4th of July

**Dan McKisson:** I think I can have something together by then. We should be getting our report back. You guys are going to have some information, a letter that has been sent out, and also that Capitol *Press* article, which I sent to Chris Eaves, showing their interest.

**Dan Kelly:** Chris Eaves, what we will ask you to do is maybe put together a couple of options for dates, including next Tuesday? And get feedback from the board for folks that are available?

**Christopher Eaves:** Absolutely. We can work together and schedule and structure along with Dan McKisson. And I did notice that Christine Wolf also had her hand up. Christine?

**From Chat:** from Howard Agnew to everyone: 10:37 AM I don't think I could swing getting the additional time off work for a meeting

Christine Wolf: Yes. Thank you, if this is public comment from the peanut gallery. I just wanted to go back to West Marginal Way a little bit. Venu, thank you very much. Oh, he's not here anymore. I wanted to thank the team for taking that thorough approach, and in particular, to outreach and data collection. I also appreciate that this team has been looking at the materials that I have put together some time ago. I do have to admit that I am concerned. We are introducing new users who may not be as savvy as the ones who are using the corridor right now. And I totally agree with the need for making this corridor viable for other folks, because it is a missing connection in the bike network. At the same time, and as a part of safety first, the second bit tenet in a document that I prepared, and that is that safety is everyone's responsibility. And I just fear that if we have -- we keep adding physical safety features to protect bikers, and ostensibly protect bicyclists and pedestrians, we will remove that sense of responsibility, because they think that the infrastructure is going to do it for them. And I don't think that's true. We still all have to pay attention, and we still all have to make sure that ourselves and others are safe. I grew up in Germany, and in Germany, there are now cities that have taken signalized intersections out and put them back to the way they were before, because that raises the sense of responsibility and awareness in folks who are going through these intersections in whatever mode. So, I'm just a little bit worried when I hear, 'Well, we did this now,' when maybe we could have more

SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

NOTE: Working meeting to be determined and announced.

Public Comment Christine Wolf -

Thank West Marginal Way team for data collection. Concerned for new trail users. Agree with the need to make trail connection. Feel continued addition of physical safety features will remove sense of safety being responsibility for all. accidents because we did this now, and we might have to go back and do more on the hardware. As Geri was saying, we had a bike/truck safety fair last weekend in Georgetown, and there's a video about that. And I really think that we need to -- we can't in quotation marks, just rely on physical infrastructure. We really need to make sure that everybody is educated and everybody knows what a truckdriver can actually see, and what they can't see, and how long it takes them to stop. And as well, truck drivers need to understand what their blind spots are and how to interact safely. And obviously, they have been able to do this in this corridor for the last ten years. So, just a little shout-out to say don't put it all on hardware. Let's make sure that everybody understands what our respective responsibilities are in making sure that everybody is safe. And, I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks.

**Dan Kelly:** Appreciate your comments. Thank very much. anyone else? Chris Eaves, are we good with public comment?

Christopher Eaves: I don't see any others.

Dan Kelly: Great.

**Warren Aakervik:** I thought I would just chime in. I had a discussion with the head of the Cascade Bicycle Club a couple of weeks ago, and suggested that maybe we need to start educating to working together to inform bicyclists of what we can and cannot see in big trucks, because obviously, they have never been in one moving, and I suspect that a lot of people who are in charge of this stuff haven't been on one moving. When you start to turn a big truck, a WB 67, on the right-hand turn to a narrow driveway from a single lane, you've got a lot of places that you cannot see. So, I think we need to get everybody together and make sure to start to educate the people that think we see them. We're not out to hurt them, we just can't see them at all. So, I think that's the big story that we really need to work on.

**Dan Gatchet:** Hey, Warren. If you've got a connection with the Cascade Bicycle Club, I know that for years, we would go up to the high schools with one of our drivers, and we did about a 70-minutes video on what they call the 'No Zone,' which is the dead zones around the trucks where drivers couldn't see. And then, we'd take the kids out into the truck so they could jump into the driver's seat and see the No Zones or the blind spots. And then, we would do a Q&A. And I suspect that either the WTA or ATA would have that video, and we could do some kind of presentation like that.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Want to make sure everybody understands what our respective responsibilities are in making sure that everybody is safe.

Public Comment Warren Aakervik-Had discussion with Cascade Bicycle Club and suggested we should work together to inform bicyclists what can and cannot be seen in big trucks.

Dan Gatchet – used to go to schools with a driver to educate – and would take kids out into truck so they could see the No Zones **From Chat:** from Christine Wolf to everyone: 10:45 AM Unfortunately, WTA doesn't have a video for bicyclists and peds, there is a great one for cars. Should note that the legislature passed legislation that requires truck blind spot training for new drivers which is a great step in the right direction.

**Warren Aakervik:** Yes, I see that Geri Poor says she's got a video. I would like to see it. But it is going to take something -- for just a few kids in school, it's a great idea. It's a great start. But I would like to see the 15,000 members of the Cascade Bicycle Club see something on where they are in harm's way, and they have no idea at all that they're in harm's way. So, I think this takes a much broader audience, and somehow get it out there to make sure that they understand that we are really trying to save lives, not take them.

**Dan Kelly:** I think that the video that Geri Poor is talking about is from the truck/bike safety fair. And we've got a few minutes. If we could cue it up and get it on there, then we could take a look at it, and show folks what that effort was?

**Geri Poor:** Chris, I can go ahead and give that a try. It looks like I have the opportunity to share.

Christopher Eaves: All right. Let's go for it. Let me try to set you up for sharing.

**Geri Poor:** Are you seeing it?

Dan Kelly: I see the video. Yes, you bet.

Geri Poor: And tell me if you can hear it?

Dan Kelly: No volume.

**Geri Poor:** Okay. I have learned that there's a trick to sharing volume.

**Dan Kelly:** While she is setting this up, I will say from my participation at the fair, they had bicyclists there, they had the bike groups there. They had them set up along National Trucks there to be able to show folks when they sat in what the truck driver sees. It was very valuable for those folks.

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Geri Poor – attempted to show video from Truck Bike Safety Fair – volume was unavailable.

NOTE: Link sent to SFAB members

https://vimeo.com/836317 354/c33d911cca?share=c opy

Dan Kelly – Participation in the fair and had bike groups along with National Trucks to show people what a driver sees. Geri Poor: Thanks, Dan. It was good to see you there and see your truck.

**Christopher Eaves:** There was a great deal of participation. It was quite a thing to see.

**Dan McKisson:** It was interesting to know from these high school kids that they would go and tell their parents about the No Zone, and educate their parents.

**Dan Kelly:** Were not seeing your presentation anymore there, Geri. Since we can't see it, if you would forward the link for folks to see?

Christopher Eaves: I will try to pull it up. I seem to be having some problems.

**From Chat**: from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 10:46 AM <u>https://vimeo.com/836317354/c33d911cca?share=copy</u> from Poor, Geraldine to everyone: 10:46 AM bike fair video link

**Dan Kelly:** We appreciate that, Geri. Just to make sure that we're not cutting anybody off from public comment, anyone else on public comment? With that, we will move on to the July agenda, and any remarks from the board.

# JULY AGENDA

**Christopher Eaves:** Really quickly, what I am seeing here for the July agenda may be developing. I thought we might have at least one presenter regarding the Seattle Transportation Plan. That is tentative at this moment. I think what's going to need to happen is part of the rather long email that will come out later. I will include what options there might be for the July agenda at this moment.

**Dan Kelly:** Okay. Great. Then we'll move on to any closing comments from the board. Can we work through the list online, there, Chris, if you don't mind?

**Christopher Eaves:** I don't see any hands being raised. Howard, Nigel, Geri, any comments?

Geri Poor: I'll just say that I put that video link in the chat.

#### SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

July Agenda Chris Eaves – Possible presenter for Seattle Transportation Plan Dan Kelly: All right. We'll move to the room.

**Dan Gatchet:** I just will say that I'm glad that you guys got that contract. It's kind of about time, and it sure makes the future look a little brighter, knowing that there's going to be a good contract that everyone can live with.

**Dan McKisson:** Yes, it was a long haul. Just to let everybody know, we've got a few more steps. We're going to have our ratification conference in July, and then it will go out to the full membership. It will be published in our newspaper and then go out to the full membership. And then, they'll vote on it probably in August. So, a couple more steps, but from what I'm hearing, it's sounds like it will be ratified.

**Christopher Eaves:** One last comment: At 10:28 a.m., I think I had a request for the July 18 agenda, the Alaskan Way Project team. I think we can work with that.

**Geri Poor:** Was that the bike lane at the north end of Alaskan Way, or is it the central waterfront bike lane?

**Christopher Eaves:** That, I think, is the northern portion. I believe it will be crossing the 66 location.

**Geri Poor:** Thanks. We have been working with them. I'm happy to see them in the freight board context.

**Stanley Ryter:** I look forward to that special meeting on the SODO issues. I'm trying to find some time later in the day.

**Dan Kelly:** Appreciate everyone's participation. There was one thing from the West Marginal Way presentation mentioned, form the Port Alliance, some documentation on bike/truck. If we haven't got that, it might be good to have the board be able to sit down with those things. but that's all I have. Appreciate the presentations today. I'll move to adjourn.

**Member:** I'll second that.

Dan Kelly: Any opposition? I'll call the meeting to adjourn. Thanks, everyone!

# SFAB 06/20/23 MEETING

Alaskan Way Project Team will be on July 18<sup>th</sup> Agenda

Meeting adjourned